Sunday, August 6, 2017


Yesterday we received 1.4" of rain just before dawn.  Because of standing water on greens and fairways we delayed opening until 8:30 and then it was cart path only.
Standing water on 14 green.  
We had a river running across the valley on holes 18 thru 12.

The bunkers took the brunt of the storm.  We fixed most of them today.  Only a few holes left but because of play (We can't get much done when the course gets too crowded and you don't want us getting in your way --can't say as I blame you)  We will finish up the few remaining ones on Monday.  

Major washouts in a lot of our bunkers.  
Staff did what they could,  a lot of work putting things back together.

Yesterday we had a Greens Committee meeting.  Topics covered were Green speeds,  Cart paths, Native areas, and Fairways.  Green speeds: have been acceptable these past few weeks.  We came away with the understanding that we will maintain ball roll as fast as we can given weather, time of year, staffing, and member events.  In order to do this we will be increasing our aerifications.    Cart paths:  There are some edges that need to be touched up and we will tackle them as time allows this fall and winter.  Native areas: will be looked at in terms of aesthetics and play ability.  We will be reviewing these aspects in the near future.  We have many different types of native areas.   Native grass areas, wild flower areas, forested areas, and of course our water features.   All require special maintenance.  We want to keep our main goals of providing habitat for wild life, removing invasive plants, adding beauty and an element of risk reward for a well played stroke all while saving precious budget dollars.   Fairways: were looked at with respect of trying to get the grass to "stand up" more.  We are going to look into verticutting our fairways.  If approved we will need to purchase a machine to do this and add it to our maintenance schedule. 
It was a great meeting and much discussion will follow.  Stay tuned!!!!!