Monday, December 5, 2016

SOME GREAT FINDS

We have done a number of bird counts over the years so I tell everyone that I have become a amateur birder and a dangerous one at that.  I mean, I know just enough to think I know what kind of bird I'm looking at or hearing.  Chances are I'm wrong.  But I am always listening and looking for the next interesting Bird that may be visiting the course.  I always carry my camera for these rare moments. A picture also helps me identify what I'm looking at.   This past week was an exceptional week in the birding category....

The picture below is a Sharp-Shinned Hawk.  Sharp-Shinned Hawks are
This is the first time a sharp-shinned let me take his picture.  a very impressive find.  

tiny hawks that appear in a blur of motion—and often disappear in a flurry of feathers. It is  the smallest hawk in North America and a daring, acrobatic flier. These raptors have distinctive proportions: long legs, short wings, and very long tails, which they use for navigating their deep-woods homes at top speed in pursuit of songbirds and mice. They’re easiest to spot in fall on their southward migration, or occasionally at winter feeders.




Not to be out done,  I saw this
A special visitor:  Peregrine Falcon
Peregrine Falcon on the Cell tower
by 15 green.  First one I have ever seen at the club.  Peregrines are the largest falcon over most of the continent, with long, pointed wings and a long tail.  They catch medium-sized birds in the air with swift, spectacular dives, called stoops. They were virtually eradicated from eastern North America by pesticide poisoning in the middle 20th century. After significant recovery efforts, Peregrine Falcons have made an incredible rebound and are now regularly seen in many large cities and coastal areas.