Friday, January 29, 2016


We got our tree work done just in the nick of time.  We try to take advantage of frozen ground so we can get around the course with large trucks and not do any damage.  Of course that means no snow cover.   Last week was perfect conditions.   We finished our work on Friday and the Snow Storm of the year happened on Saturday.   We still need to grind stumps and do clean up but we don't need big equipment for that.  Now the snow is melting and things are getting soft again and that sounds good to me.   I have my fingers crossed (and toes) that we have an early start to the season with no winter damage.   By all accounts we are due for a good spring.   

Another problem that sprung up was a water leak in the water line that supplies our shop.   Unfortunately it was right next to our natural gas supply.  I felt better safe than sorry and let the pros do the work.  They came in with some sophisticated equipment and pin pointed the leak and marked where the lines were.   It ended up being a pin hole but we were still losing about 5000 gals a day.  These guys do this every day and fixed the problem faster than we could have.  There's always something to keep you on your toes.  
Marked out water and gas line.     The water line is marked in blue and the gas is yellow.
Leak is white "X"  Notice the wet spot to the right.  Not close to where the pipe is.

exposed water main.  

Small hole but we were loosing over 5000 gals a day.

Work being done between 3 and 4.  Dying trees had to be
removed for safety reasons.

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Snowed in on a Sat. Morning

I highly recommend a window bird feeder.  my new year resolution is to learn how to identify our feathered friends.  First is a tufted titmouse,  and a black capped chickadee.  Common winter birds.  Also how to improve my blog.  This is my first post from my I pad.  Hope it works.   Everyone stay safe and warm, Spring is right around the corner.  

Friday, January 8, 2016


Happy New Year.   A funny thing happened on the way to the "temps".   What I am trying to say is their is always something to throw a wrench into your plans.   On January 2nd I did my normal course check up.  Not much this time of year, chase some geese and make sure heat is working in the shop.  Today though, was the start of using temporary greens.   We had marked and mowed them weeks in advance but to be honest I hadn't thought about them for quite some time.   The first couple that I moved from the green to the temporary went like any other year.  When I got to #1 the temporary was loaded with worm castings that were frozen solid.   Now, their are a few members that don't like using temporary greens to begin with let alone have them look like lunar landscapes.  I tried removing the small earth piles to no avail,  Chucks of turf came loose making things worse.  Not much I could do.  Luckily only two people played.   I am glad to report that yesterday the weather warmed up enough.  We hadn't had any rain so they were also dry and I was finally able to break them up.  Just another small hiccup in what is suppose to be a non stressful winter.   I should add, If this is the worst that happens were golden!!!!

Worm casts make putting on temporary greens a real challenge.  

close up view.  Frozen solid.  

Once they thawed out they were dry enough to remove.   

Shop Mechanics bay has received a much needed painting.   Locker room is next.  

Last week we finished adding a few small irrigation heads around 8 green.  We started mowing the grass along the edge of the green this year.  The current irrigation system was not designed to water the area.  We were actually watering the pond more than the grass.  The addition of small mister heads will solve this problem.